Re: "4/3 Problem" Resolution (fwd), comment on

On Wed, 16 May 2001 19:58:20 -0500, Jack Uretsky <jlu@HEP.ANL.GOV> wrote:

Hi all-
This posting will be my last comment on this thread.
David presents a classical calculation purporting to show that
the electron mass is purely electromagnetic in origin. A crucial
element of his calculation is that it violates gauge invariance.
Gauge invariance is a basic principal underlying 50 years of quantum
mechanical calculations as well as classical calculations (such as
EM waves in wave guides).
David shows us no other desirable consequence of his violation
of gauge invariance than his purported demonstration that the electron
mass is purely electromagnetic in origin AND can be calculated
classically.

Read my theory. There are plenty of other consequences besides the
demonstration that mass is purely electromagnetic.

He now challenges us to choose between his calculation
and gauge invariance.

I'm not asking anyone to dump gauge invariance. All I'm saying is that you
must place a condition on the gauge function /\ in order to assure gauge
invariance.

The classical calculations, by the way, as I have pointed out
earlier on a similar thread, disagree totally with the QED calculations.

So what?

Thank you very much, David.
Regards,

Jack