A petition to persuade India's gov't that astrology is not a science

Title: A petition to persuade India's gov't that astrology is
Dear Colleagues,

The Indian government has decided to recognize astrology as an academic discipline in colleges and universities, as outlined in the letter below.  Please consider adding your electronic signature to a petition in protest of this foolish act. (Signatures of members of the National Academies or recipients of other prestigious awards can be particularly influential.)

Please give this message wide distribution.

Thank you for your time!

******** LETTER FOLLOWS ********************************

Colleagues

            As some of you may know, we are organizing a signature campaign protesting a decision by the University Grants Commission in India sanctioning the study of the "science of Astrology" as an academic discipline at colleges and Universities in India. We have set up a web site for collecting "signatures" at
    http://caffeine.bu.edu/vigyan.html

    Following the advice of my colleague Sheldon Glashow, we are appealing not only for the support of prominent Indian scientists, but also of eminent scientists such as yourselves to make a strong statement to the government of India.

-- Please visit the web site, read the letter, and sign if you agree.

    I apologize for any inconvenience and annoyance caused by this unsolicited e-mail.

Shyamsunder Erramilli
Physics Department & Center for Photonics
Boston University

Roger A. Freedman
Department of Physics and College of Creative Studies
University of California, Santa Barbara

Mailing address:
Department of Physics
UCSB