Re: a noun is still a noun

Nah ..

birthday is an adverb, as in let's go birthday party it up at Jim's.

bc

"John S. Denker" wrote:

In arguing that "heat" is a noun, I wrote:
I assure you that these people use "heat" as a noun. They talk about heat
pulses, heat capacity, heat leaks, heat shields, heat switches, and heat
exchangers. If you tried to tell them that "heat" is not a noun they
would think you were from the far side of Mars.

At 05:04 PM 5/7/01 -0700, Larry Woolf quoted Craig Bohren as saying:

Also, I also note that in all these examples "heat" is used essentially as
an adjective.

You can call it an adjectival usage if you want, but that hardly makes
"heat" any less of a noun! Virtually every noun in English can be used
this way.

For instance, the existence of the phrase "birthday party" does not make
"birthday" anything other than a noun.
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=birthday

A true adjective, such as "good", can be shifted to the predicate:
Good pulses entered the system. --> The pulses seemed good.
This stands in contrast with:
Heat pulses entered the system. --> [*/The pulses seemed heat./*]