Re: heat is still a noun

At 08:31 07 05 2001 , you wrote:
I wander why those who oppose the noun "heat"
do not oppose the noun "light"?

Ludwik, I used to teach at Stockton and well understand why those in NJ
wander, But I also understand the First Law and how to teach it. Clearly
the students understand better if they are warned about the evil wicked bad
and nasty word "heat" (ugh I feel contaminated) and, after the warning, it
is not used in class.

There is not much point in railing against this practice unless you
understand it and have earnestly tried it.

OTOH, like everyone else in the galaxy, I haven't the foggiest idea what
"light" is so I go on using a foggy word -- and apologize for its use to
students during optics topics. I even use the word "beam" -- but with a
lengthy explanation.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen