Re: heat again "Never as a Noun"

To see acceptable alternatives to current language, take a look at how
Bohren and Albrecht handle this issue in many different contexts in
their "Atmospheric Thermodynamics" book (ISBN: 0-19-509904-4).

Bohren and Albrecht avoid the word "heat" mainly by substituting
"change in enthalpy". This works nicely for constant-pressure
processes when no "other" work (besides compression/expansion work)
is being done. By and large, I think they've made the right
decision, given their audience and the scope of their book.
But I don't think this way of avoiding "heat" would be feasible
in a typical course for physics or chemistry students. There are
just too many processes where Q is not equal to Delta-H, so we
need separate names for the two quantities.

Dan