Re: Good lectures

I agree with Marc Kossover that we should end lectures on time. I didn't
always do that, but I changed my ways and feel better about it.

But there are some extra twists to this. In addition to the students who
start packing up before the correct ending time, I also have difficulty
starting on time. Students come late, and if I have already started the
lecture these late students are very disruptive. It's almost like they're
saying "How dare you start before I get here."

Many of my colleagues have also commented about the complete lack of manners
among students these days.

* * *

About a week ago I returned a lab report. I then spent about 10 minutes
discussing some of the common problems I saw on the reports. Then I began
the "textbook" lecture. About that time a student entered the room and
walked right in front of me to go to his regular seat. Upon learning I had
returned a lab report he came up to the lectern (while I was lecturing) and
started shuffling through my papers (lecture notes and all) trying to find
his lab report. Unbelievable!

This made me so angry I could barely continue the lecture. The class
thought I was going to explode. I just stood there silently for a while
debating whether I should just walk out or try to continue the lecture.

* * *

One time I told students I would start lecture when they were ready, and I
would continue to lecture for 50 minutes from that point. If a student came
late, I would stop lecturing until they found their seat and were ready,
then I would resume at that point, adding however many minutes to the
lecture that it took them to get ready. I thought perhaps the peer pressure
would get students in their seats on time. It did not. The peer pressure
solution was "come on time or don't come at all." So some students upon
arriving 2-3 minutes late and seeing that I had started, just skipped class.

It wouldn't be so bad if late comers would quietly sneak into the seat
closest the door. But they always go to their "regular" seat; they do it
with some degree of pomp; they noisily plop down their book bag, unzip their
coat, get out the notebooks, etc. then finally sit down about 60 seconds
after entering the room. And if I just keep lecturing, is anybody paying
attention to me?

When I was in college I arrived late for class on occasion. I took off my
coat and hung it in the hallway. I got my notebook all ready while I was
still in the hallway. Then I quietly entered the room, took the closest
seat, and was taking notes within about 10 seconds. I am not proud of doing
that a few times, but I was a model student compared to students today.

* * *

Majors-level physics is 8:00 every day. If I start lecturing right at 8:00,
I lecture to less than half the class. The class is usually full at 8:05,
but often someone still comes in at 8:10 or 8:15. Once I locked the door
when I started, but I got called into the dean's office and was told never
to do that again. I would like to send all the late-comers to the dean's
office to get tardy slips before they can be admitted to class.

I don't know if our students are too rich, too ill-mannered, or what. I
think just about everything I try just makes them angry. The most
successful treatment has been to take attendance and take off points from
their grade for being absent or tardy. That does improve the situation.
But then I have to listen to all sorts of reasons why they were late or
missed class, and why this time should not count against them. Plus, I
don't like the philosophy of taking attendance and I don't like the time it
takes to do it. What I want is better mannered students.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817