Re: Good lectures

No penalty except for those student who habitually are incorrect. My usual
procedures is "what's the error?" followed by "what should it be?" Occasionally
there are ties and I tear the flub stub in half and give one-half to each
person.

The "training period" is to stop them from shouting out the correct answer or
shouting out "You're wrong" and to teaching them politeness. It works for both
goals.

A brief aside. Isn't it interesting that we still have to teach manners in high
school. After 5 days my kids do not start to pack up their stuff 5 minutes
before the bell nor do they exhibit Pavlovian behavior in walking out or
crowding around the door at the bell. When I open the door at the start of the
period they wait for me to enter first (I think this is because the room is dark
and they want me to trip first.)

Again, my goal is to improve my lecturing ability (make less mistakes), get them
to pay attention (for whatever reason), and to have fun (which we do) and
finally to civilize them in areas their parents have not.

Ray