Good lectures

George Carrier (head of the Challenger Explosion committee that Feynman
served on) at Harvard taught the applied math course for graduate students
for many years. He tried giving beautiful, perfect, unflawed lectures some
years, and flawed lectures with mistakes ("Oh, this isn't right, it should
be xxx, but I don't know where I went wrong.") other years. He was
convinced that students performed better in the second type of lecture and
attributed it to the fact that they went home and straightened everything
out after the flawed lecture, and learned in the process. Well, I know I
did that!

Laurent Hodges, Professor of Physics
12 Physics Hall, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011-3160
lhodges@iastate.edu http://www.public.iastate.edu/~lhodges