Re: Planetarium Software

At 10:17 AM -0400 5/1/01, Tom McCarthy wrote:
Hello Everyone,
What is your experience of using planetarium software in an
astronomy course and if it's good, what piece of software do you recommend.
Thanks a lot.
Tom McCarthy

We've gone the rounds on this one before, but the programs keep getting
updated, so maybe another discussion is in order.

All the (commercial) programs are good and improving. We've been impressed
with some of the canned demos and animations that come with RedShift. But
for overall ease of use coupled with power we still like Starry Night the
best. I'm told the next edition of "Universe" by Kaufmann and Freedman
will incorporate Starry Night into end-of-chapter exercises; things like
this get me excited.

Larry