Re: Discovery Learning and Guided Inquiry (was Re: AP students)

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, RAUBER, JOEL wrote:

Do you require that your students cover the other content on their own? And
if so, how?

E.g. do you give the same type of tests covering the same amount of material
that you used to directly cover?

I am no expert on constructivistic teaching. One of my problems has to
do with weak formative assessment. I wouldn't use my teaching as an
example of excellence in the classroom.

In any event, my answers are as follows:

Yes, I require that my students cover the other content on their own. I
hand out a list of objectives (with explanations of each objective and
sample problems) and they are responsible for 5 objectives each class. I
introduce the objectives one class, they do the readings, and then I
address problems they have the following class. Ideally, I spend time
only on those things they need time on although I admit I design
activities to address the difficulties students usually encounter.

Yes, my tests are the same type I used before. Yes, the tests cover
the same amount of material I assessed before.

Again, I don't say that my teaching is great. It is just that I see no
reason why it necessarily has to take longer if we teach students to
critically examine their understanding of the content.

| Robert Cohen Department of Physics |
| East Stroudsburg University |
| bbq@esu.edu East Stroudsburg, PA 18301 |
| http://www.esu.edu/~bbq/ (570) 422-3428 |