Re: Why Do We use B for the Magnetic Field?

Hi all-
Has everyone forgotten that there was a previous discussion that
seemingly resolved this question?
Regards,
Jack
On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Jim Green wrote:

......One of them is the use of the concept of "magnetic
mass", often called pole strength. Should we continue using it
or not? In my opinion the old model is still useful. I know it is
not necessary, like caloric in calorimetry. What is wrong with
starting with the old model and ending with abandoning it?
Ludwik Kowalski

Because some twit used the concept and we will be stuck with it for a
hundred years or longer -- just like "caloric" -- an idea which came before
Aristotle and we still can't get rid of it -- oh yes we have stopped using
the word for the most part, but the concept lingers in every extant physics
text. We nearly worship it here on this list.

For heaven's sake when we first see that a concept is wrong, let us banish
it -- scourge it -- bury it deep in some foul bottomless pit -- and nuke it
-- else we will have Bill Nye preaching it ad nauseam.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen

--
Franz Kafka's novels and novella's are so Kafkaesque that one has to
wonder at the enormity of coincidence required to have produced a writer