Re: FCI as a measure of student understanding

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Hake" <rrhake@EARTHLINK.NET>

Well, not really. The 1992 version is still available in the open
literature; the 1995 version (which contains many of the same
questions as the 1992 version), although password protected at the
ASU site, is in Mazur's book; and Tarara STILL pushes his online
animated version of the FCI!

Since Professor Hake STILL is critical of the fact that I have offered an
animated version of FCI (years ago), I want to point out that I DO NOT push
it anymore. In fact, this small subset of my Animated Chalkboard series is
now buried in the older DOS version package and I have made no move to
update this package as I have most of the rest of my animations. The
package is available online but I DON'T (and never have) had these animation
RUNNING online. The Animated Chalkboard packages have always been offered
as an INSTRUCTOR tool for use IN CLASS, not as something simply handed over
to students. BESIDES, I will remind Dr. Hake that the TPT published
article that contains the FCI states that it is offered to be used for any
educational purpose. The authors have never objected so I don't see that it
is Dr. Hake's place to do so. He has certainly gotten a lot of mileage out
of this work!

Rick Tarara

Richard W. Tarara
Associate Professor of Physics
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE Physics Instructional Software
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara

Win9.x, WinNT/2000, Win3.x, Dos, Mac, and PowerMac
New: Updated versions of the Energy Simulators
Windows and Mac CD-ROMs now available.