Re: inductor circuit concept

To directly address your concern:

I want to write the loop theorem as: -iR + L(di/dt) = 0
as there is a potential drop across the resistor and
gain in the inductor.

During discharge the current is flowing in the positive direction but
falling in value; hence di/dt is negative and - di/dt is positive, giving
the positive "gain" you expected.

Note that since we are choosing the direction of the discharge current as
positive, the term -iR will be numerically negative. Since the current is
in the positive direction and falling in value, di/dt is negative. Thus -iR
and + L(di/dt) could not sum to zero, but -iR and -L(di/dt) can sum to
zero.

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
trebor@velocity.net