Re: real-life physics

1. The quote is from me and not from John Denker who seems to be
an otherwise respectable fellow.

Agreed. My "reply" in my email program created this somehow - I did not
insert it. Sorry for the confusion. The "Regards, Jack" at the end may have
made the responsible party clear.

2. There are many examples from industry where one starts by
solving a solvable problem which is not the problem at issue. One notable
example is in the design of aircraft where one gets guidance from
aerodynamic and stability calculations, further guidance from wind-tunnel
experiments but, in the end, must use cut and paste techniques to finally
achieve an acceptable product.

Agreed. But, your comment was "Problem is too ill-defined or too difficult
to solve, so solve exactly a well-defined and solvable problem that sheds
light on the problem at hand." In basic research, it is common to solve a
model system as a substitute for a complex or real system. This will shed
light on the real problem but the physicist still does not solve the real
problem - because, as you said, it "is too ill-defined or too difficult to
solve." In industry it is common to solve many smaller solvable problems
and then combine the solutions to solve a more complex problem, as you
indicated. In addition, there are many times when you make your best guess
on how to solve a problem because it would take many lifetimes to obtain all
of the information you need to solve the problem in a systematic manner.
Sometimes this Edisonian approach works, sometime the systematic analytical
approach works. My point was that these often bear little resemblance to
the physics problems at the end of the chapter.

Larry