Re: AP Students

I certainly agree that the (philosophical and student needs-based)
decision of approach to teaching physics should generally be made first,
and then an appropriately matched assessment should be chosen. My point
is that arguing that the FCI or AP Exam is somehow universally "better"
implies that the philosophical decision has already been made by the
person making the argument. One who believes that the conceptual
foundation is more important MUST accept the FYI as the "better"
assessment, while one who believes the quantitative problem solving is
more important MUST accept the AP Exam as the "better"
assessment--appropriate matching requires this. This is what I refer
to as the PRACTICAL side of selecting the assessment. Those who insist
that one assessment is unquestionably better are inherently trying to
impose their own philosophical positions as the standard, because the
assessment they advocate will only (or primarily) test for achievement of
the objectives of the approach to which it is properly matched.

We are all free to make our individual decisions on the philosophical
question. I favor the balanced view that I have presented in my previous
postings.

Best wishes,
Mike Ugawa
St. Ignatius College Prep
San Francisco

From a PRACTICAL point of view, what matters is that the assessment is
properly
matched to the approach used in the course.

If that means what it appears to mean, it seems really backwards to me.

For any given course, no matter how preposterous the approach, you can
design an assessment that is so "properly matched" that it makes the
course
look good.

If we want to be really "PRACTICAL", we should
a) figure out what really matters to the students, and then
b) design courses and assessments around that.

If I understand Jack correctly, he's pointing out that we haven't yet
done a good job on step (a).

* *
* MICHAEL B. UGAWA *
* *
* PHYSICS * CHEMISTRY * COMPUTER SCIENCE *
* *
* EDUCATING THE YOUTH OF TODAY *
* TO FACE THE CHALLENGES OF THE NEW MILLENIUM *
* *
* mugawa@quark.sfsu.edu *
* *