Re: AP Students

Rick Tarara said:

An extensive survey of working scientists (and I think engineers) suggests
that they view problem solving skills as the most important aspect of their
physics education. To be sure, they cite 'real-world' problem solving, but
one must crawl (intro courses) before they can run. Knowledge of physics
(concepts) was WAY down the list of importance. I think the survey was done
by the APS--anyone know the reference.

I certainly am not surprised by the survey. Engineers and scientists
appreciate quantitative problem solving. A very important skill for
them to hone. The vast majority of our students who graduate college
within 5 years of graduation are not scientist/enginers (from our
school..though 90% will graduate college within 5 years of high
school--according to the 10 year report).

It may be that if we FORCED all students to take quantitative problem
solving sciences then they would be grateful when finished. In the
academic buffet many skip this option and still graduate colleges.
They fail to find out how good they could have had it!?

Is it possible that not many programs enphasize "conceptual" understanding
so the "survey" could (possibly) skew results?

Tim