Re: AP Students

The survey is "Skills used in the workplace: What every physics student (and
professor) should know," G. Blake, 1995, American Institute of Physics. It
is discussed in the APS Forum on Education, Fall 1997 issue, page 11.

Here are some of my personal thoughts on this issue (2 vugraphs from one of
my presentations):

3 types of Physics Problems/Solutions:
(1) Conceptual solution
Pictures, words, diagrams
(2) Standard physics solution
Use physics principles, laws, equations to solve exactly and quantitatively
a well defined problem
(3) Real Life Solution
Problem is often ill-defined, many unknowns, too complex to solve directly,
interdisciplinary; team work required; may use commercial computer codes to
solve because of the problem’s complexity
In school, focus is on 2.
In real life, focus is on 1 and 3.

The industrial physicist:
5 % of time spent on physics problem solving
20% of time in meetings, and one-on-one discussions, traveling
30% of time writing reports, presentations, proposals -
30% of time planning what is to be done and documenting and summarizing what
has been done - e.g. using Excel spreadsheets
15% of time reading, researching

Larry Woolf