Re: torque on airplanes.

At 19:45 4/13/01 -0400, John Denker wrote:

False
...at the idea that prop thrust is maximal at low speed.

Then I mentioned this URL which has solid data on thrust vs airspeed:

<http://www.aero.ufl.edu/~issmo/mav/MSU/MSU.htm>

This was not quite enough to convince him however.

So now I offer John Lowry's simple approach to acquiring thrust versus
airspeed data. (He actually has the experimental curve for the Cessna 172,
if you scroll to the foot of his bootstrap procedure. This shows
decreasing thrust with speed of course.)

<http://www.avweb.com/articles/bootstp1/>

John Lowry would agree I think, that this is not quite what a flight test
engineer would produce, but it's certainly within reach of many pilots.

Enjoy!
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!