Re: Worrying-Ozone Layer

Thanks, Rick, I will try that.

Doug

Rick Tarara <rtarara@SAINTMARYS.EDU> 04/02/01 01:53PM >>>
Do a GOOGLE advanced search including all of these words: ULTRAVIOLET OZONE
INTENSITY DATA COUNTRIES and you'll get a number of hits that look to have
the appropriate info (I don't have time right now to sort through this.)

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/
PC and MAC software
NEW! Energy Simulator Updates
CD-ROMs now available
----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Wendel" <Doug.Wendel@SNOW.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 2:35 PM
Subject: Worrying-Ozone Layer

While we are worrying about things, how about the ozone layer. A lot of
people are worried about it.

The ozone layer "monitors" have always claimed that for each 1% decrease
in the ozone layer, that UV on the surface increases by 2%. During the
aftermath of the eruption of Mt Pinatubo (spelling?) in the Philippines, it
was determined that the ozone layer over the US decreased by 6% for a year
or more. Did the UV increase by 12%? Did it increase at all?

In fact, if there is any documented evidence of the UV increasing on the
surface anytime, anywhere, I would like to be directed to it. I have never
been able to find a paper documenting and increase in UV on the surface and
neither have any of my militant environmental students that I have
challenged to find one.

Anyone out there know of one?

Thanks

Doug Wendel