Re: Worrying about the long term (was Global Warming (NUCLEAR))

In a message dated 3/31/01 4:08:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mshapiro@EXCHANGE.FULLERTON.EDU writes:

Don't let them pull the same deal on you in New York State!

Mark

Some of the same mistakes are being made in New York. The utilities have
already divested their power generation. However perhaps because they saw
what was happening in California we do have long term contracts in place with
the corporations that purchased the power generation. However these contracts
run out in 2003, 2004.
We too have a capacity shortfall though not as severe as
California. Electric rates have gone up sharply in New York City but not as
much elsewhere. I wonder what will happen when the contracts run out. Quite a
few companies have expressed an interest in building combined cycle plants
which are somewhat cheaper to build and can be built fast. Of course they
will all be below 38 MW which exempts them from stricter pollution control.
However I don't believe anyone has thought out what the long range prospects
are for natural gas supply.
Before deregulation electric generation cost in the United States
were among the lowest in the world. I suspect when this is over we won't be
able to say that anymore.

Bob Zannelli
New York