Re: Global Warming (NUCLEAR)

At 8:16 AM -0500 3/31/01, Michael N. Monce, you wrote about Re:
Global Warming (NUCLEAR):

One thing that never seems mentioned is using fuel cells for
home use. All the attention seems to be on making the cells small enough
for use in cars. Why not look the opposite direction and make each home
have an independent source of energy with that technology? I'd would
certainly buy one and cut the lines coming into my house; and I don't even
live in California :)

You must have natural gas lines coming into your house? (don't cut THEM ;-)

Isn't that how the fuel cells would be fueled?

Or would you fuel them with methanol/ethanol corn squeezin's? (a form of solar)

You COULD save $$ by heating your water and house with the gas
instead of with electricity.

Can YOU generate electricity from gas cheaper than the electric utilities can?

Electricity is a convenient way to ship/distribute power, but we pay
for the convenience.

Hydrogen MIGHT turn out to be as convenient as gasoline for car fuel
cells BUT the hydrogen will still have to be 'produced' at
considerable energy expense.

britton@ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936