Re: Global Warming

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Green" <JMGreen@SISNA.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2001 11:43 AM
Subject: Re: Global Warming

4) If there is such an effect, is it universally a bad thing?

It is a very good thing for thermophyles

Can be great for Canada and Russia, not so good for Florida and
Bangladesh
(both disappear under 3-6 foot higher oceans).

Can we explore this a minute: What has to melt in order to produce
this? The Arctic surely doesn't count. How much water of the Antarctic
sits on bedrock? And how much would the ocean temperature need to rise in
order to produce this -- even without any applicable melting?

Antartica, melting glaciers, and the volume expansion of warmer water would
all contribute to sea level rise. (I think the latter is the biggest
effect) All the models show that the polar regions increase in temperature
more than the temperate or equatorial regions. This seems to be the case.
The documented 1 degree Fahrenheit global increase in the last 100 years has
been accompanied by a 3 degree Fahrenheit Artic increase.

Not that the galaxy would miss Florida -- We could just move the people of
Bangladesh to Siberia -- They are going to need the immigrants.

You'll be a big hit in Miami!

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics