Re: on computers in the classroom

Ed:

What are your thoughts about this approach? As we plan for a new or
remodeled building this would be the time to check out some new modes of
teaching.

At 20:04 3/21/01 -0500, you wrote:
Let me get this straight. Some of us are suggesting students should bring
$2000 laptops to class so we can "beam them" or "wire them" our handouts
instead of generating paper copies? Give me a break.

I hand out printed copies because I believe that is currently
expected/required.

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that eliminating class handouts is
sufficient reason to have students bring computers to class. I have just
found
that once the computers are there, eliminating handouts is very convenient
for
both the instructor and students. Students repeatedly commented that they
preferred electronic delivery.

Printed copies are certainly expected and required in a traditional
setting, but
needs change with a connected classroom.

The case for computers in class is much more compelling when the terribly
artificial distinction between lecture and lab is removed. All of my earlier
comments referred to a course where there was no separate laboratory, for we
just did experiments are called for by the development of the topics. I can
heartily recommend fighting the battle to rejoin lecture and lab sections.
I did
it at a large state university with entrenched separation of the two.

--JEG

Ivan Rouse, Professor and Chair
Physics Department, La Sierra University
4700 Pierce St., Riverside, CA 92515
email: irouse@lasierra.edu
web: http://physics.lasierra.edu/irouse/
phone: 909-785-2137, FAX 909-785-2215