Expanding Universe

Cosmology is certainly not my strong point.
We (meaning my class and me) have been talking about
waves, particularly the Doppler Effect. We talked about
red shifting and the expanding universe. My
understanding is it does not expand into nothing it just
creates space as it expands. The questions is can it
expand around an area/volume? Can there be "holes" in
space where the universe has not expanded into a
partucular region, but has expanded into the surrounding
regions? I'm sure this is very unclear, with very poor
terminology, but I'd appreciate any insights. Thanks!

Tim O'Donnell
Instructor of Physics and Chemistry
Celina High School
715 East Wayne Street
Celina, Ohio 45822
(419) 586-8300 Ext 1200 or 1201
odonnt@celina.k12.oh.us

"Chance only favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur