Re: emf, potential, voltage

At 01:18 PM 3/13/01 -0600, RAUBER, JOEL wrote:
Why do books sometimes refer to the emf (or back emf) of an inductor or
capacitor and not for a resister. i.e. is there something different about
the voltage that one measures across a capacitor or an inductor or battery
compared to other measurement such as one across a resistor.

Here's the deal:

1) As a point of terminology: I consider "emf" and "voltage" to be
essentially synonymous.

2) Let's consider the physics of a two-terminal black box containing a
linear circuit (perhaps some network of batteries and resistors). The
two-terminal properties of the black box can by understood by looking at
the current-versus-voltage graph. It's a straight line.

\|
\
|\
| \
current | \
| \
| \
|_____\_______
\ voltage

a) Two points determine a line. Consider the places where the line
crosses the axes in the graph above. These are called the open-circuit
voltage and the short-circuit current. If we know these two numbers, we
can draw a straight line and know the entire I-V curve.
b) A point and a slope determine a line. If we know the open-circuit
voltage and the impedance, we can draw a straight line and know the entire
I-V curve. This gives rise to the Thevenin equivalent circuit0.
c) A point and a slope determine a line. If we know the short-circuit
current and the impedance, we can draw a straight line and know the entire
I-V curve. This gives rise to the Norton equivalent circuit.

3) The same ideas apply to AC circuits. We can have an AC open-circuit
voltage and an AC short-circuit current.

4) Suppose I have a motor, and I apply 115V(AC RMS) to its terminals. Then
the average emf across its terminals is 115V. That tells me the emf, not
the back emf. If I measure the current under these conditions, that gives
me one point on the I-V curve. Call this point (V1,I1). One point is not
enough; I need another point in order to pin down the first-order
properties of this device.

To get a second data point, I briefly open-circuit the terminals. The
still-spinning motor will act like a generator. It will produce a certain
voltage (i.e. emf) on its terminals. This is the open-circuit
voltage. Call this point (V0,I0) where I0=0 and V0 is called the "back emf".

Given these two points, (V1,I1) and (V0,I0), we can draw a straight line
and have a nice first-order model of the behavior of the device.

======

To answer Joel's question: yes, there is something special about a
resistor as opposed to a motor, inductor, capacitor, or battery: The
resistor is the only one of these that cannot (by itself) exhibit a back
emf, because it cannot store energy and cannot transfer energy from an
external source into our linear circuit.

(Resistors transferring energy to a _non_linear circuit are another matter
entirely.)

Do not confuse "back emf" with plain old "emf".