Re: Questions & Discussions on Vectors & relationships to di

Thanks David for your thoughtful reply. To continue the conversation:

Regarding Joel's question:

Where does a position vector reside?

First of all, it doesn't make much difference how you
conceive of or draw
the vectors when the manifold of interest is globally flat, since the
manifold itself and its tangent space to it at each point are
isomorphic.
In such a case we can treat vectors in the usual way as
having them reside
in the space of interest (i.e. R^3).

This is what is tricky about e.g. R^3, its isomorphic to its tangent spaces;
but I'm not sure I want to say that it is the same as . . ., which is I
suppose why you said "make much difference" as opposed to no difference.

In reference to my question about "position vectors" and your response
below. Which is what I guessed the answer would be. Would you say that
this one difference, that even in flat space the position "is *not* a vector
at all."

for reasons that I won't go into, other than to say I'm trying to understand
affine transformations and spaces, I'm just now beginning to appreciate the
fact that the position is not a vector, its point in the manifold. Years of
drawing arrows in 3d Euclidean space has led to my not appreciating this
fact.

Regarding the specific question above, in the general curved
space case,
the position of a point in that curved manifold is *not* a
vector at all.
It is a point in the manifold. The points in a manifold are not
individually vectors. Vectors live in vector spaces; curved manifolds
are not vector spaces. Since the position is not a vector, it doesn't
reside as a vector anywhere. It just resides as a point just where it
is in the manifold.

*But*, the *differential displacement* along a path between two
infinitesimally nearby points in the manifold *is* a vector,
and it lives
in the tangent (vector) space of the point where that differential is
taken.

Am I correct in saying that tangent spaces are necessarily Flat?

But are they necessarily Euclidean? (I'm guessing "no")?

Joel Rauber