Re: physics of bouncing

At 11:40 3/14/01 -0700, you wrote:
/snip/ he could aggressively "bounce" a hammer of the anvil a few times and
touch the hammer head. This should satisfy his HS class.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen

A worthy suggestion.
I bounced a one pound ball pein hammer, ball down, off a steel anvil surface
from about 30 cm 30 times. Neither surface was deformed nor appreciably warm
to the touch.
I cropped an inch of steel off a 1/8 inch thickness angle. The temperature
was just sensibly higher.
An obvious warming to the touch calls for a yielding object, I'd say.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!