Re: physics of bouncing

At 08:32 AM 3/14/01 -0500, S.Goelzer wrote:

After any real collision I do in my lab some of the energy is in the form
of thermal energy,

OK.

This is quite imperceptible to my students (other than the fact that the
objects involved are going slower).

OK.

How do I demonstrate that the energy still exists in a different form
(most intro. students are satisfied with a qualitative demo) ?

Good question. See below.

Is the burned paper/steel ball demo or the thermal card changing color
demo proving this?

No, not in any way that I can see.

====================================

So.... We want to demonstrate the real physics of ordinary bouncing. If we
want to use the card as an indicator, we need to set up a situation where
the card is more of a witness and less of a participant.

One way to move in that direction is this:
1) On a hard floor (or anvil or whatever) make a stack of four or five
sheets of rubber. Cut up old inner-tubes if there is no other convenient
source of rubber sheets.
2) In the interstices between sheets, put pieces of thermal-indicator card.
3) Pound on the stack a few times with a hammer.
4) Open the stack to reveal the cards, which will indicate that the
rubber, throughout its bulk, has increased in temperature.

Many variations are possible.

========

Measuring the temperature rise of stirred air is also possible.