Re: physics of bouncing

At 4:39 PM -0500 3/13/01, John S. Denker, you wrote about physics of bouncing:

If anybody believes that the card measures anything significant about the
normal (cardless) bouncing situation, please explain what process is being
measured, and how the card measures it.

Maybe I have forgotten the original post of this thread - but I seem
to remember the demo of slamming two steel spheres together being
mentioned.

Holding one sphere in each hand and keeping the fingers out from
between them. When the steel spheres meet we note that the collision
is QUITE inelastic. Clearly our hands are contributing to the
inelasticity of this real collision. Putting the piece of paper
between the spheres doesn't change my perception of the collision by
much and I am quite willing to say that the burned spot on the paper
is a direct result of the 'loss' of KE of the spheres.

I guess I'm NOT talking about the 'normal (cardless) bouncing
situation', I'm talking about what 'actually' happens in my hands.

britton@ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936