Re: Pb

At 10:31 3/13/01 -0500, S Goelzer wrote:
/snip/
A ball is dropped, bounces, and comes to rest.
Where did the GPE go? Can I
provide any evidence at all besides _telling_ them it
changed into thermal energy.

... the card changes color. I am not claiming all of the energy
goes to changing the color of the card,
but the collision between two surfaces
does cause a temperature change right at the impact point.
I cannot wait to set
up the demo described in the previous post of burning paper
between two colliding metal spheres.
--

S.Goelzer

While it is true the temperature card demo can be nit picked,
I liked your observation of central impact damage and
peripheral temperature rise. The ball drop on paper demo
confirms the mechanism, and it is harder to gainsay, it's true.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!