Re: Thermodynamics and Lenz's Law

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Chuck Britton wrote:

At 1:44 PM -0600 3/11/01, Doug Craigen, you wrote about Re:
Thermodynamics and Lenz's Law:
[snip]
Lenz's Law has nothing to do with the configuration being any kind of
equilibrium state.
[snip]

Lenz's Law applies to the equilibrium of maintaining a CONSTANT
magnetic flux through the loop.
(Sounds like LaChatlier & [stable] equilibrium to ME!)

I tend to think of this more as a "status quo" law, sort of like the way
nature tends to maintain the spin or momentum of objects. To me,
"equilibrium" implies that there is balance of sources and sinks.

| Robert Cohen Department of Physics |
| East Stroudsburg University |
| bbq@esu.edu East Stroudsburg, PA 18301 |
| http://www.esu.edu/~bbq/ (570) 422-3428 |