Re: Pb

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Jim Green wrote:

Suppose I drop a piece of lead. The Earth, via gravity, does positive work
on the lead and increases its KE. OK? The lead hits the floor; the flood
does negative work on the lead; the lead halts. KE->0 OK? Does Wgravity =
Wfloor?

Yes, if you define W_floor such that it equals W_gravity.
No, if you define W_floor such that it does not equal W_gravity.

Defining "The Work" done by one deformable object on another deformable
object is a tricky business that tends to generate a lot of "heat" on this
list but usually very little light. Do we really need to go there again
so soon after our last trek down this path?

--
Andy Dougherty doughera@lafayette.edu
Dept. of Physics