Re: funny capacitor

At 12:25 PM 3/9/01 -0500, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
1) A rock is dropped from a roof. How long does
it take to hit the ground? 3 seconds. Is this the
"one and only one reproducible solution?" I think so.

Sure. A measurement of (delta t) is a well-posed question with a unique
answer under the stated conditions.

But somebody may object saying that there are many
solutions. One is when my stopwatch is initially at zero,
another when the initial time is 10 seconds (and final
time is 13 s), etc.

Different question, different answer. Asking for the arrival time is
different from asking for the duration of flight.

2) Consider a common capacitor. Suppose its geometry
is such that C=100 pF. What is Q when dV=10 V? It is
1000 pC. Is this the "one and only one reproducible
solution?" I think so.

The capacitance is a gauge-invariant number.

The Q(V) problem is well-posed, and has a unique answer,
if all the Vj are specified. I've said this N times now.

But somebody may object saying that there are many
solutions. One is for V1=0, V2=10, another is for
V1=50, V2=60, etc. Any set of two voltages is a
solution provided V2-V1 = 10.

Different question, different answer.
The unrestricted V(Q) problem has a goodly-sized solution set.

Various questions about (delta V) are well posed and have unique solutions.
Different questions have different answers.

3) JohnD was saying that the well defined V(Q) problem
(find V1, V2 and V3 when Q1, Q2 and Q3 are given) has
many solutions. How does this differ from the "many
solutions" claims in the first two items above?

It differs according to the rule: "Different questions, different answers."