Re: Laptop requirement?

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l@lists.nau.edu: Forum for Physics Educators
[mailto:PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu]On Behalf Of Michael Edmiston
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 11:22 AM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Laptop requirement?

The problem? I can't keep the students from playing games or surfing the
Internet during class.

When I was working with the IMPEC (integrated math, physics, engineering and
chemistry) course at North Carolina State, we used a classroom with 25
Internet-connected computers.

We quickly saw and solved the above problem by announcing "monitors off" (which
later became "laptop screens down!") when we were doing non-computer things.

It became a non-problem. Yes, the Internet is a distraction, but so is a
newspaper.

--JEG

--
John E. Gastineau john@gastineau.org