Re: jumping ring demo

At 16:30 3/6/01 -0800, Larry Woolf wrote:

Stating "a soft alloy with silver or copper" indicates an alloy of at least
two elements, where one of the elements is silver or copper.

Yes

It does not
mean pure silver or pure copper.

Yes indeed!

If an element contains a small amount of
impurities, it is generally not considered an alloy - it just has some
impurities

I see your position. Not sure where you would draw the line between
an alloy and a metal with 'some impurities'.
Duralumin (of Graf Zeppelin, "oh the humanity of it" ) now known
as 2024 alloy is considered to be an alloy with about 4% copper.
Carbon steel contains as its principal alloying agent
0.1 to 0.9% carbon. Steel is inherently an alloy, I'd think.

I think you are saying that a material that has more than
...what shall I say, 0.1% alloying material 'qualifies',
else it's just impure?

Another definition of an alloy is a solid solution of one material
in another. Some materials mutually dissolve in any ratio.
Even in 'impurity' amounts!

Silver tarnish due to the formation of silver sulfide, not silver oxide.

Yes.

Your table indicates that pure gold is more resistive than commercial gold.
These names have little meaning in terms of impurity content. Resistivity
is most affected by impurities that substitute at lattice sites, and is less
affected by interstitial impurities.

Not my table, just a commercial list from an NDT web site.
By all means show me better numbers; the two rubber books I have
don't expatiate on the topic.

Resistivity is also sensitive to
synthesis parameters such as heat treatment temperatures
(grain size, defect density) and phase purity.

Larry

Yes indeed!

Gilding metal 31 nano ohm.meter
Aluminum Alloy 1100 29
Aluminum alloy 7072 29
Aluminum 99.99% 27
Gold, pure 25
Gold commercial 23
Copper deoxidized 20
Copper, electrolytic 17
Silver, pure 16 nano ohm.meter

At any rate, I now repeat my point (you might even say I am
standing on it) that an innocent physicist might well find
an aluminum tube for his 'jumping ring' demo consists of
the ubiquitous 6061, a quite tough alloy of resistivity 37 to 44
nano ohm.m rather than a soft alloy like 1100 which is still
quite accessible. A roof flashing roll at the hardware is
likely to be soft and comparively conductive.
You could possibly solder a strip of that into a ring.
Ordinary solder is quite suitable, though there are others
needing less technique.

Is this really so controversial?

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!