From: "Ludwik Kowalski" <KowalskiL@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 01:26 PM
Subject: Re: funny capacitor

. . .
In that university textbook the V=B*Q matrix is introduced in
the context of the principle of superposition. Then the authors
say: "SOLVING THESE EQUATIONS WITH RESPECT TO
CHARGES, one can see that, inversely, charges are linear
functions of potentials." . . .

It would be interesting to trace the origin of the misconception . . .
. . . It is true
that linear relations exist between charges and potentials in both
ways (when Q are independent variables, and when V are
independent variables). What is not true is that Cij can be
calculated from Bij, or vice versa, by the matrix inversion
method. . . .