Re: A Question About A Simple LRC circuit

Bob,
This system is the damped ( UNDRIVEN )
oscillator, with solutions that are underdamped,
critically damped, and overdamped. I usually
think in terms of current through the circuit but
voltage across the resistor is basically a measure
of the current. For the underdamped case for
charge on the capacitor ( Take the derivative to
get the current, but this only inserts a constant
factor.), this gives:

q = q_initial e^{-bt} sine{ omega t + phi}

b = R/2L

Omega = sqrt( (1/LC) - (R/2L)^2 )

The above is straight from PHYSICS 3rd ed
Halliday and Resnick Chapt 38 Electromagnetic
Oscillations , page 848.

The underdamped solution is a sine in an
exponentially decaying envelope. The mechanical
version is a damped spring and mass system.

Thanks
Roger Haar

Robert B Zannelli wrote:

If we have a simple RC series circuit and we apply an instantaneous voltage
across this circuit the equation which describes the voltage across the
resister as a function of time is:

V(t)=Va*exp[-t/(R*C)] Where Va is the applied voltage etc.

For a simple LR circuit we have (replacing the capacitor with an inductor):

V(t)=Va*(1-exp[-(t*R)/L])

My question is, if you have a series LCR circuit is there a simple equation
which will give the voltage across the resister as a function of time?

Bob Zannelli