Re: gauge invariance

Here is my guess. No guarantees. The word "gauge" has a quite a cluster
of meanings, mostly clustered around the notion of "a way of measuring".

I read somewhere that the concept got its name from "gauge blocks"
which are precisely machined blocks used by machinists and others to
establish precise distances. They are made in different sizes so they
can be stacked to obtain a variety of distance intervals.
--
--Jim (pengra@whitman.edu) Whitman College, Walla Walla, WA