Re: Academic Spam (was Re: project)

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, brian whatcott wrote:
Brian
(At least there was a clear cutoff date
provided to avoid the immortal gene syndrome)

But they didn't give a YEAR. I bet they'll keep getting messages from
people who assume that they're talking about march 2002

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 freenrg-L taoshum-L vortex-L webhead-L

Interesting thing about this is that I heard a news report in which
the teacher was interviewed and she didn't seem to be at all
concerned about the fact that she got over 100,000 e-mail responses.
I think she's lucky that's all she got. She could have gotten
millions and completely clogged the internet, at least in her area.
It is clear that the teachers who initiate the schemes have not
clearly thought them through. It wouldn't take very many iterations
of her request that everyone who gets it to forward the request to
everyone on their mailing list, for everyone who is connected to the
internet anywhere in the world to have gotten several copies of the
request. Fortunately, it appears that most people are aware of that
problem and are ignoring these things.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell