From: phys-l@lists.nau.edu: Forum for Physics Educators
[mailto:PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu]On Behalf Of Larry Cartwright
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 6:56 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: SI question

David Bowman wrote:
I don't think the arbiters of SI style require either method
(dot or comma) of delimiting decimals other than to recommend
the use of the method that is common for the language in which
one is writing. For instance, in English its the dot-type decimal
point, and in German its the comma-type of delimiter.

David, I have some pretty clear evidence that you are
correct, that both
forms of the decimal marker are officially acceptable.

Bureau International des Poids et Mesures is, of course, the agency
which administers SI for the Conference Generale. In their English
language webpages they use the "dot" decimal marker and in
their French
language webpages they use the "comma" decimal marker.

Both of the following quotes are from BIPM webpages:

"The widespread use of electronic voltage standards
referenced to Zener
diodes has created a need to carry out calibrations at 10 V as well as
at 1.018 V."

"L'utilisation largement répandue d'étalons électroniques de tension
utilisant comme référence des diodes de Zener a rendu nécessaire les
étalonnages à 10 V aussi bien qu'à 1,018 V."

Best wishes,

Larry
Larry Cartwright <exit60@ia4u.net>
Physics and Physical Science Teacher