Re: Taste: Microwave Heating vs Boiling

At 17:49 2/16/01 -0800, you wrote:
-- ions -- I assume, as others have stated, the difference is mostly metal
ions from the tea kettle. My preferred tea kettle has stainless steel sides
and a copper bottom. I suspect the copper is the key.

What is the probability of enough copper tunneling through
the stainless steel to taste?

Leigh

It is an interesting observation that copper utensils usually have a guard
layer. In French cuisine, the copper pots are regularly tinned to keep the
copper covered.

Copper compounds in "anti-fouling", are used to kill off marine growth on
ships hulls....
One might well assume heating encourages off tasting or poisonous compounds.
But if so, how is it we are comfortable not only with copper cold water pipes
but with hot water pipes too?

This choice is certainly an improvement on the classical Roman aqueduct
material - but does it have its own problems?

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!