Re: Mpemba effect" ??

Another example. I once lived in an area where many
houses had been built with skimpy insulation. On one
very cold night, I had a (hot) water line freeze and
burst. A plumber neighbor claimed that this was
"always" the case - the HW pipe would often be frozen
while the CW would be OK. I thought at the time that
maybe this was b/c some of the dissolved minerals in
the feedwater tend to be deposited on the internal
surface of the domestic water heater, but then some
calculations showed the differential effect on
freezing point depression to be awfully small. Any
other experiences with frozen pipes? John Barrere Apex
HS
--- Savinainen Antti <antti.savinainen@KUOPIO.FI>
wrote:
James McKey wrote:

I've never heard of that name. I have heard the
tale about hot water freezing
faster than cold, but do not see how that's
possible for equal starting and
ending masses of water under equivalent external
conditions.

My student did an Extended Essay on the topic few
years ago in the
International Baccalaureate program.
She monitored cooling and freezing of the same
amounts of water in the same
freezer in different kinds of containers. She used a
computer based measurement
of temperature. I didn't believe in the effect
before I saw how initially
warmer water actually did froze faster that colder
water. The (initially)
colder water spend more time in a super cooled state
under 0 degrees of Celsius.
Then the temperature raised to zero and started to
drop again after all the
water had frozen. This took place repeatedly for
certain kind of containers.
Why this happened remained a mystery.

Regards,

AnttI Savinainen