Re: dielectric constant

At 16:45 1/30/01 -0800, you wrote:
>A curious number can be found in many tables of dielectric constant,
the DC dielectric constant of that terribly polar material, water.
Sears & Zemansky give that number as 81, larger by far than any other
in their table.///
Can anyone think of a phenomenon which demonstrates water's very high
dielectric constant? I do know that demonstrating capacitors at high
voltages can be very dangerous, but does anyone know a good demo?

Leigh

A thin rectangular plastic cell is placed between two capacitor plates and
the capacitance is noted. Then fill the cell with water while it's still
sitting between the plates and watch the capacitance go way up! Wolfgang

Thanks, Wolfgang. I've thought of a variant on that which I will try.
I'm glad someone has seen this done.

After writing the paragraph above I went down to the demonstration
room where my colleague Jeff Rudd keeps lots of sealing wax and string
handy. In no time flat we concocted a capacitor which is an adaptation
of Wolfgang's suggestion. It wasn't spectacular (I had hoped it would
be), but the capacitance increased by thirty percent when the water
was added. I will post details, with photos on my web site, tomorrow.

Leigh

[Catching up on some mail...]

Prepare a round plastic tray or a round metal flat bottom pie dish.
In the former case, cover it with Reynolds heavy duty foil (25um)
The diameter is conveniently 30 cm
Cover the inside with a layer of cling foil ("Glad Cling Wrap")
of thickness 12 um
Place a circle of kitchen tissue on the film ("Bounty kitchen
paper towel roll") of thickness 180 um

Place a circle of aluminum foil diameter 25 cm on top
Press the layers together with a flat bottom glass weight like
a coffee percolator flask.
Connect a C meter.
Pour water on the edge of the upper electrode so as to wet the paper.
Read the C meter again.

Sample readings... dry 240 pF: wet 19960 pF
apparent dielectric const 83

(The sleight of hand result is doubtless due to a mild compression of the
kitchen towel when wet. A stronger water vehicle would be better.)

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!