Re: Cosmology

There is no evidence that our galaxy is expanding. The universe is
expanding according to evidence of a couple of kinds, but none of
that evidence arises from observation of objects within our galaxy.
No external galaxy is seen to be expanding, either.

Leigh, it is clear that I don't understand much of this cosmology
stuff. You seem say that our galaxy started much bigger and collapsed
into the current spiral form and I suppose that given more time it would
collapse further??? OK.

It, nor any like galaxy, is seen to expand -- but we wouldn't notice any
expansion would we - on our time scale.

You (and someone else) say that neither the local nor even small groups of
local clusters expand, but the super clusters do. Why??? Well yes, if
the Universe is expanding something has to spread out a bit, but why super
clusters and not our galaxy? What makes a local cluster "gravitationally
bound" and not a super cluster?

What does it mean that "space" is expanding -- and not the space within
that space???

See I can't even ask a reasonable question.

The First Law is a lot easier.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen