From: "Bob Sciamanda" <trebor@VELOCITY.NET>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2001 9:18 PM
Subject: Re: capacitance of a disk

Dave Bowman wrote:
. . .
BTW, in case anyone is interested, I solved the problem by making a
transformation to a coordinate system whose surfaces of constant
coordinate were a nested family of confocal oblate spheroids that were
l>locally orthogonal to another confocal nested set of hyperboloids of
revolution (of one sheet). . . .

Smythe's calculation ends with the statement:
"This problem can also be solved by oblate spheroidal harmonics (5.271)"
In section (5.271) Smythe solves several problems with oblate spheroidal
harmonics - but not the disk.

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
trebor@velocity.net