Re: charge is conserved

At 8:24 PM -0500 2/9/01, John S. Denker wrote:
At 02:45 PM 2/9/01 -0800, Leigh Palmer wrote:

I have no charge grid; it is unnecessary to produce one, so I
don't.

If you want to see HOW and WHERE the charge is conserved, you need to
produce one.

Since I don't expect charge to be "conserved" during a mathematical
process I don't need to produce one.

It seems that we don't understand one another, John. I'm tired of
bickering, and I have a good test which I described in my last post.
I expect that producing a correct result may vindicate my algorithm,
if not in your eyes, then in mine. I will be satisfied that yours is
OK if you get the correct answer, too. There is, for example, a
difference between John Mallinckrodt's method and mine. The value
of the potential in cell "a" appears as a term in the iteration
formula in my method. It is clear that this term could be left out
and the formula suitably modified (one would divide by 4 instead of
6), and the process would converge on the same solution. I left the
term in because Laplace's equation says it is there, even though it
doesn't matter. The physics is clearer with that term included, so I
left it in. My idea is to produce a formula which is conceptually
sound.

Leigh