Re: [Fwd: LAO Report: Improving Academic Preparation ForHigherEducation]

I'll quote Shakespeare, "There is something rotten in the state of Denmark".

The symbolism is left as an excercise for the reader.

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l@lists.nau.edu: Forum for Physics Educators
[mailto:PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu]On Behalf Of Peter Schoch
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 7:18 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: [Fwd: LAO Report: Improving Academic Preparation
ForHigherEducation]

In my case, I work at a two-year college. We have an open admissions
policy.

Now, we do have a placement test for English and Mathematics.
However,
proficiency on that only assures an eigth grade level at
minimum, and a
12th grade at max.

Peter Schoch

Tim O'Donnell wrote:

Many students arrive at public colleges in California
unprepared for college-level courses.

I have heard this complaint in Ohio too.
As a high school teacher, my question is why do colleges
accept such students. I remember way back when I had
to take entrance exam to get into the college of my choice.
As long as colleges accept unprepared students, they will
continue to get unprepared students. I have lot of
students come back and tell me my course is a lot harder
than what they took in college (of course there are a lot of
reasons why this could be)
Tim O'Donnell
Instructor of Physics and Chemistry
Celina High School
715 East Wayne Street
Celina, Ohio 45822
(419) 586-8300 Ext 1200 or 1201
odonnt@celina.k12.oh.us

"Chance only favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur