Improving Academic Preparation

Many students are indeed unprepared or underprepared in college-level
courses. That's precisely why many institutions of higher have
instituted
extensive advising programs and assessment ( Colorado community colleges

come to mind along with the Colorado School of Mines) to channel these
students into appropriate career choices or courses to prepare them.
Students wanting to go to college are always welcome and should be
encouraged. There was never a shortage of them. But what we do with
them
does matter. Otherwise, we create a system that is at best elitist.
- Abby Abul Kalam

> Many students arrive at public colleges in California
unprepared for college-level courses.