plastic PASCO carts & short tracks

We are considering the purchase of a class set of the new PASCO dynamics
cart/track systems. The new ones, "PAScars," are made of colored plastic,
rather than metal like the "classic" ones. I would appreciate any comments
regarding how good the plastic carts are in terms of durability,
versatility, etc., compared to the classic metal carts.

Also, we are thinking about getting the shorter (1.2 meter) tracks, rather
than the longer (2.2 meter) ones. Are there any significant limitations
imposed by the use of the shorter tracks?

Since we will be getting an entire class set, the cost savings achieved by
going with the plastic carts and shorter tracks in significant relative to
our small budget, but I don't want to end up regretting a choice made
entirely for economic reasons.

Best wishes,
Mike Ugawa
St. Ignatius College Prep, San Francisco
* *
* MICHAEL B. UGAWA *
* *
* PHYSICS * CHEMISTRY * COMPUTER SCIENCE *
* *
* EDUCATING THE YOUTH OF TODAY *
* TO FACE THE CHALLENGES OF THE NEW MILLENIUM *
* *
* mugawa@quark.sfsu.edu *
* *