Re: visualizing fields near charged objects

At 11:01 PM 2/6/01 -0500, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
The cylindrical disk, at 100 V, would be represented by a
flat rectangle (the cross section of the disk)

For a disk, we can do much better than a cross section. We can write the
Laplacian in polar coordinates and get a good picture of the D=3 behavior
of anything with rotational symmetry.

This is implemented; for further information see
http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/laplace.html
The spreadsheet itself is at
http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/laplace-cyl.xls

The fact that you could do this in Excel is remarkable.

Think of it as a local cellular automaton. The laws of classical physics
are local (I'm ducking any quantum EPR/Bell issues). So you would expect
that a local finite-element approach should work for just about anything
you can think of.